Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Recipes to Share (some of these things are not good to eat)



I have been needing to post the recipes/directions for some of our projects so here are the ones I used:

Bath Crayons:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/779453/how_to_make_the_best_homemade_bath.html?cat=24

Here is the recipe I used. I didn’t use ivory like they call for because I can’t get it here, so I just took two bars of white soap and grated it with my cheese grater. I also added TONS of food coloring. The crayons come out dark, but show up better in the tub that way. I also put them in the freezer for a few hours in their molds, and let them dry out for a few days on top of the fridge. I feel like they turned out pretty well. They aren't as smooth as a commercial crayon, but they served their purpose of dying the water and turning Eliza's belly blue.


Fingerpaint:
3 Tbs. sugar
1/2 C. sugar
Medium saucepan
2 cups cold water
Muffin tin or small cups
spoon
food coloring
soap flakes of liquid dishwashing detergent

Directions:
Mix sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add cold water and continue stirring until the mixture is thick. Remove from heat. Divide the mixture into the four or five portions, spooning them into the sections of a muffin tin or small cups. Add a drop or two of food coloring and a pinch of soap flakes or a drop of liquid dishwashing detergent to each portion. Use a different color for each cup. Stri and let cool. Store covered in an airtight container.

I have made this a few times now. And I think the trick to make sure it doesn't get too thick is to remove the mixture from heat AS SOON as it starts to thicken. Because it still thickens even after you remove it from heat. My other advice it to keep it in the fridge. One reason is the paint starts to thicken after a few days, if you leave it at room temperature. And if you live here it will start to mold after a few days thanks to the tropical humidity. Once again it isn't QUITE the same consistency as store bought, but I think it makes a good enough substitute, and I also have no other option so...


Mini Brownie Bites
1/3 C. butter
2-1 oz. squares of unsweetened chocolate
3/4 C. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C. cup flour
1/2 C. mini M&M's

Directions
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees
-Ina saucepan, melt butter or margarine with chocolate over very low heat, stirring constantly witha wooden spoon. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and 1/4 cup of the candies. Add chocolate mixture and whisk to blend.
-Using a spoon, fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Using 1/2 of the remaining candies, sprinkle on top of batter in each filled muffin cup.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes. Remove brownies from pan and cool thoroughly.
Makes 24 brownies.
(I actually used chocolate chips instead of M&Ms, except I topped one batch with M&Ms. But I wanted chocolate chips in them instead. Sometimes a candy shell gets in the way of what's really important [chocolate.])

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes and tips!